If you follow me on the Flurries of Flour Pinterest, you may have noticed that I love breakfast. I may even have mentioned it before, possibly in my baked oatmeal recipe, but I can have breakfast for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in-between. I’m always up for pancakes, waffles, egg-and-cheese muffins, toast, scrambled eggs, potatoes and peppers, pastries—it’s all good to me.
When I married my husband, he introduced me to a whole new variety of breakfasts: New Mexican! Not that I didn’t love my breakfast burritos, but even though I mostly grew up in New Mexico, coming from an East Coast family, I didn’t really have much experience in the way of New Mexican breakfasts.
Thankfully, I don’t have that problem anymore, and I love these breakfast tacos. They’re full of soft, fluffy eggs, crispy bits of chorizo (or bacon), potatoes topped with melting cheeses, a creamy, slightly sweet and cooling avocado cream sauce (my addition), and, of course, green chile! We use Hatch green chile that we roast in August and keep in the freezer (you can also find it in the frozen section of Trader Joe’s, I believe, as well as in cans), but you can use other types of chile like Anaheim. The Hatch green chile is really what makes it New Mexican, though, and gives it that authentic taste.
If you see this in photos, by the way:this is a comal. It’s a flat griddle used to cook and heat tortillas (and maybe some toast every once in a while…). It was given to us by my husband’s mom and I’m not sure how old it is.
Also, while you can make potatoes just for this recipe, my husband usually makes his perfect brunch potatoes that I featured on the blog last week!
This breakfast is completely delicious, completely satisfying, and comes with a little New Mexican kick to get your morning going!
- 8 Small Flour or White Corn Tortillas
- 10 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk or milk alternative
- ½ pound of sausage, like chorizo, or 4 strips of bacon
- ½ C. of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil or other cooking oil
- Salsa of your choice
- 1 recipe of hotel brunch potatoes
- Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 C. coconut milk or Greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ a lime
- ½ tsp. salt
- Heat a pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sautee the chorizo in the pan until cooked through. Take the chorizo out of the pan and place onto a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside. Alternately, you can cook the bacon any way you choose.
- While the chorizo is cooking, make the avocado cream sauce. Combine the avocados, coconut milk or Geek yogurt, and salt in the blender and blend until a smooth cream forms. You can add more coconut milk or yogurt if you want a more creamy consistency. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl with the milk, salt, and pepper and whisk until a froth forms.
- Heat an oiled non-stick pan over medium heat and pour the eggs in. Keep stirring gently until the eggs are soft, fluffy, and curds are sticking together.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Heat the tortillas until warmed through and slightly colored.
- It’s assembly time! Place the tacos onto a serving plate or platter. Spoon over the eggs, bacon, potatoes, then sprinkle the cheese and green chile on top, then drizzle over the avocado cream and salsa on top.
And you have a completely satisfying breakfast! Believe me, it’s a fantastic way to start your day, especially if it’s a lazy Saturday morning or Sunday brunch!
Enjoy, and ‘till next time!