When you think of the autumn harvest, you probably think squash and pumpkins and root vegetables like carrots. This creamy pasta sauce is full of squash and pumpkin and says comfort food and cozy evenings. It’s also simple to make, makes a beautiful base for further flavors and additions, and stores perfectly in the freezer for later use!
There are few things I love more than curling up on a cold fall or winter night when the sun has already set with my husband, our dogs, and a big bowl of pasta. The question is what type of pasta sauce to use, and this one fits the bill! It’s creamy, slightly sweet yet savory, and full of good-for-you squash, pumpkin, and carrots.
The ingredients are minimal: pumpkin puree, butternut squash, carrots, onion, garlic, and some spices. To make it easier (and faster), I used canned pumpkin puree and pre-cut cubes of butternut squash. And because you’re going to puree the mix, just half the garlic and quarter the onions.
I also add a bit of creaminess and flavor with coconut milk. I know it sounds odd, but I promise it adds quite a bit of flavor and creaminess without the cream. If you don’t want to add the coconut milk, you can certainly add milk or cream. I have half a cup of coconut milk listed in the ingredients, but you can add more if 1) you want a looser sauce, or 2) your blender needs more to run properly.
This autumn harvest pasta sauce also makes the perfect base from which to get creative. You could sauté some onions and ground turkey, or add some sausage, either ground or regular, or add some extra veggies like kale or spinach—it’s completely up to you!
It takes a bit more time than Sunday’s savory baked eggs, but besides a bit of chopping, most of the time spent cooking is time on the stove.
- ½ a can of pumpkin puree
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash or another type of squash
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 cup of water or stock like low-sodium chicken or vegetable
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 2 garlic gloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons of Italian spices
- 2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- Pour the two tablespoons of oil into a heavy-bottomed pot and heat over medium heat.
- Once the oil is rippling, add the onions, garlic, and carrots. Sautee until the onions are translucent.
- Add the butternut squash and pumpkin puree and saute for two minutes, or until they have a bit of color. Don’t worry if there is a bit of burning—it will just add flavor.
- Add the spices and saute for another minute.
- Pour in the water or stock, then let simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes, or until the liquid is mostly gone. Watch the pot carefully because the water will disappear and burn the ingredients quickly.
- Transfer the ingredients to a blender and add the coconut milk.
- Blend until the sauce is completely pureed.
If you’re looking for a hearty meal for cold, fall night, this pasta sauce is perfect!
‘Till next time!