I don’t know about you, but I always struggle to come up with snacks for my daughter and for me. Sometimes we go ultra-healthy, sometimes we go with cold-cut turkey, sometimes we do snack bar. And more often than not, we’re running out the door and need something portable….
Next week is March Madness, and it’s always an event in our house. We go to my husband’s friend’s house and watch basketball, eat, laugh, and play Cornhole. It’s a lot of fun and my husband and his friends have been doing it for years.
Everyone also brings food, and this year my husband came up with a great idea—to bring mini crescent dogs filled with cheese! It has everyone’s favorite game foods all in one: cheese, hot dogs, and a doughy outside. What’s best beside the taste? Like most of my recipes, they’re really quick and easy to make.
And on Monday, I’ll be posting two sweet-and-savory dipping sauces to go with these crescent dogs!
Quick-and-Easy Game-Time Recipe
In all honesty, we were originally going to make our own pretzel dough to make pretzel dogs, but, like most people, we’re busy. We both work, we’ve have packed weekends, and there just isn’t enough time. So I’m taking a short-cut for this recipe and using ready-made crescent roll dough. Someday I promise I’ll publish a pretzel dog recipe, but for now, this recipe is perfect when you want party food fast!
A note: For the cheese, I used sticks of cheddar versus a block. It was a lot easier to cut them that way. I cut them in half horizontally, then in half again vertically, then cut those in half vertically, then in half vertically again, and finally one more cut in half horizontally so I ended up with small pieces of cheddar, like so:
I did a bit of experimenting and, even though the difference was small, small pieces like these made for easier stuffing and rolling.
- 1 can of pre-made crescent dough
- 1 package of hot dogs
- 4 to 5 sticks of cheddar, or a block of cheddar (I just found sticks to be easier)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or foil.
- Cut each hot dog in half, then cut through each half length-wise but do not cut all the way through. You’re trying to make a small pouch for the cheese.
- Cut the cheese sticks in half horizontally, then cut each half vertically, then vertically again, and vertically one more time, and finally horizontally, until I had small pieces of cheese.
- Stuff each cut hotdog half with two small pieces of cheese.
- Take out the pre-made crescent dough, separate the triangles and cut each triangle in half length-wise (you want two triangles).
- Stretch the crescent dough slightly, then wrap each cheese-stuffed hotdog half with a triangle, covering the open side with the longest end of the triangle.
- Place each wrapped hot dog on the baking sheet and put into the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the dough is lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Let cool for five minutes and serve!
And that’s it! These cheese-filled mini crescent dogs are not only perfect for game-time, but they’re perfect for party trays and fun treats for the littles in your family.
And don’t forget to check back on Monday for the dipping sauces!
‘Till next time!